Summer is certainly not over, but summer vacation is nearing the end. Yes, it is back to school time here in the Vail and Aspen areas and in celebration of such, your friends here at Climate Control Company, Glenwood Springs’ top A/C contractor, invite all of our students (customers) to sit up straight, pull out your pencils and a blank sheet of paper. It’s pop quiz time!
Like we said before, summer is far from over. There is plenty of hot and humid summer weather left on the calendar, so our pop quiz only has one question: Name 5 signs that it is time to replace your home’s cooling system. OK class, put on your thinking caps and let’s go …
- NO COOL AIR. Yes, we realize that this is a Captain Obvious statement, but it is a telltale sign that your cooling system is having issues. This could be from low or leaking refrigerant or a failing compressor. Either way, bad news.
- NOISY OPERATION. An occasional weird noise from your cooling system may signal a repair need, but continuous weird grinding or rattling noises may mean your air conditioner is at the end of the line.
- POOR AIR FLOW. If you notice weak or reduced air flow from your vents, it could be a couple of things. Leaky ductwork can reduce air flow and can be sealed. It could also mean your system’s compressor is worn out.
- SYSTEM IS 10-PLUS YEARS OLD. A properly sized and maintained air conditioner should last around 15 years. However, if your system is more than 10 years old, experiencing more frequent breakdowns or has a SEER rating of lower than 13, it may be time to consider a newer, more efficient system.
- YOUR SYSTEM USES R-22. As we outlined in a previous blog, R-22 refrigerant is being phased out and will no longer be available by 2020. If your system uses R-22, you will have to replace it by then, so, if your system is having refrigerant leak issues or other problems, now may be a good time to replace it with a new, more efficient system using R410A refrigerant.
Alright, looks like you all did pretty well … so endeth today’s lesson. Welcome back to school, and remember: call Climate Control today and find out if now is the time to replace your cooling system. Our licensed technicians can help you choose a new Lennox system – that is sized properly and installed correctly – to fit all your climate control needs!