So, have you planned the dinner menu for Thanksgiving yet? How about the sleeping arrangements when family members arrive at your Glenwood Springs, Aspen, or Vail, CO home? Yes, November means it’s time to get ready for the holidays, but do you know what else you need to be thinking about? Carbon monoxide because November is also CO awareness month.
The eleventh month has been recognized by many cities, states, and home safety organizations since the late 2000s. It makes sense. November ushers in cold weather, snow, and ice for the entire Western Slope. Along with it comes this home safety issue: The silent killer, as CO poisoning is called, kills more people in the winter months than any other time of year.
Climate Control Company understands that when you think of winter and carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s natural to first think about furnaces. Always remember ANY fuel burning device produces carbon monoxide and has the capability of killing you. This includes water heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves.
Protect your home
Any discussion about CO awareness and home safety should start with carbon monoxide detectors. Because you can’t see, smell, or taste CO gas, detectors are the only way to protect your family’s safety. If your Glenwood Springs, Aspen, or Vail, CO home doesn’t have them, now is the time to get them. You should have a detector on every level of the home and close to each sleeping area. Test the alarms monthly and change batteries twice a year.
Professional service is vital
Because of the danger, any fuel-burning appliances in your home should be inspected regularly by a professional technician with the tools and knowledge to detect carbon monoxide leaks. This includes furnaces, gas stoves, wood & gas fireplaces, clothes dryers, and water heaters.
Doing the right thing is important
Another huge part of CO awareness is practicing safe behavior. Some examples:
- The gas stove in the kitchen can be a source of CO poisoning. This is especially true during the holidays when the cooking and baking is nearly nonstop. Always use kitchen vents and exhaust fans whenever the stove is in use. If it’s not too cold out, let fresh air in by opening a nearby window.
- If the power goes out do not at any time use a generator indoors, in a garage, or any other confined area. Gas-powered portable generators must be used outside and away from open windows.
- An attached garage can be a dangerous source of carbon monoxide gas. A malfunctioning gas water heater or a car accidentally left running (easy to do with a keyless ignition system) can quickly fill a garage with CO gas which leaks into the home.
- If your carbon monoxide detector sounds an alarm, the only safe response is to leave the house immediately and call 911.
One facet of IAQ
As important as CO awareness is this month, Climate Control wants to remind you it is just one facet of making sure you have healthy indoor air quality in your Glenwood Springs, Aspen, or Vail, CO home. Call for your no obligation appointment to learn more about air filtration and purification and the role they can also play in home safety. Be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more great information.