People who study these things will tell you our sense of smell is a very powerful thing. Certain smells can bring memories, good and bad, flooding into your mind. Of course, we all want pleasant smells in our life instead of something that smells bad. That includes the air conditioner in your Glenwood Springs, Aspen, or Vail, CO home.
CAUSES AND FIXES
Let me point out that the best way to prevent unpleasant odors from your A/C is regular maintenance from the pros at Climate Control Company but even then, there can be situations that leave you holding your nose. Let’s look at some of the bad smells, reasons they happen, and ways to deal with the problem:
- IS THERE A GYM BAG IN THE HOUSE?
- Yes, as disgusting as it sounds sometimes your AC can smell like the socks you wore for a pickup basketball game. The common cause is an air conditioner that isn’t draining properly resulting in standing water. Usually, a professional cleaning will eliminate the odor.
- WHERE’S THAT GUNPOWDER SMELL COMING FROM?
- A short circuit in your unit’s fan motor or a circuit board can emit a burning scent that smells like gunpowder. It’s important to call an HVAC contractor not only to get rid of the odor, but to keep your unit functioning properly. Depending on how much damage has been done, an AC replacement may be the best choice.
- MORE THAN ROTTEN EGGS
- If you’re smelling rotten eggs the truth is you could have a critter problem…a dead critter problem that is. Birds and rodents can sometimes find their way into ductwork or air handlers where they meet their demise and begin to decompose. If you can easily find the source of the smell, you may be able to take care of things yourself. It’s more likely you will need a professional duct cleaning.
- MILDEW MOST COMMON COMPLAINT
- Boy, do we hear this complaint a lot from our neighbors in Glenwood Springs, Aspen, and Vail, CO. This odor is an indication that mold and/or mildew is growing in or near your air conditioner. It makes sense because air conditioners remove humidity from your home. Sometimes that moisture can get trapped if it is unable to drain properly. Dirty filters can also give off a mildew odor. HVAC technicians are trained to handle mold, mildew, and fungus and are your best bet for getting rid of the smell.
JUST A PHONE CALL AWAY
If your air conditioner stinks, or you have any other maintenance needs, Climate Control Company is ready to help. Call right now to make an appointment. Our motto is Comfort Driven, Colorado Style…since 1956. Learn more about the services we offer by liking us on Facebook and following us on Twitter.