Our mountain air is almost always dry (low humidity), but during the winter heating season it’s often too dry. That’s why I want to talk with you about the benefits of adding a humidifier to your Glenwood Springs, Aspen, or Vail, CO home. Doing this can prevent a whole host of problems and even cut your monthly heating bill.
WHAT IS A HUMIDIFIER?
Very simply it’s a device that adds moisture to the air. You can buy portable units for a single room, but they come with some disadvantages. A portable humidifier takes up floor space and you are continually adding water. Climate Control Company strongly recommends a whole house unit. It attaches to your furnace and the household water supply. Moisture is added to the air as it moves through the home’s HVAC ductwork.
PROPER HUMIDITY LEVEL
Indoor humidity should be about 40 to 45% for maximum health, comfort, and protection of the home. During a cold winter on the Western Slope, our relative humidity can easily drop into the teens and that’s not a good thing. Proper humidification has several benefits including:
- Protect against dry lips and chapped skin.
- Prevent nosebleeds caused by dry mucous membranes.
- The near total elimination of annoying static electricity.
- Stop damage to woodwork, furniture, and wood floors as dry air can cause warping and cracking.
- Limit the spread of flu and other viruses. Research clearly shows viruses spread more easily when the air is dry. Adding moisture helps.
- Cut your heating bills by making you feel more comfortable. Just like summer humidity makes you feel hotter, adding a little moisture to the indoor air during winter will make you feel warmer. That means you can turn the thermostat down a couple degrees.
DON’T PUT UP WITH LOW HUMIDITY ANY LONGER
If you’re tired of waking up with a sore and dry throat; if you want to stop buying chapstick and skin lotion in bulk; if you want to pet your cat again without giving it a violent electrical shock; if you want stop your hair from standing on end after blow drying it; then pick up the phone now and call Climate Control Company to learn more about humidification options for your Glenwood Springs, Aspen, or Vail, CO home. It’s just one more way we fulfill our motto of, “Comfort Driven, Colorado Style.” Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to learn more about the man services we offer.