You don’t have to step outside to be plagued by allergies. Indoor allergen carriers such as mold and dust can cause just as much suffering and aggravation as those found outdoors, so take steps to allergy-proof your home and maintain a pleasant, comfortable environment. Here are some strategies when you want to allergy-proof your home:
- Bedroom: Allergy-proof your home by washing bedding each week in 130-degree water. This prevents mold from thriving and dust mites from feeding on shedded human skin flakes. However, luckily for us on the Western Slope, dust mites are not as prevalent in drier regions.
- Basement and bathroom: The basement and bathroom are two damp areas where mold and mildew can thrive, so seal any leaks and cracks that can lead to mold formation. Use a dehumidifier to keep room humidity at 50 percent or lower; remove old, moldy carpeting; and ensure your clothes dryer vent and kitchen and bathroom fans are exhausting outside. Scrub bathroom walls with a vinegar and water mixture to kill mold and mildew.
- Living room: Get rid of old carpeting if you suspect mold growth; otherwise keep carpets well-vacuumed to avoid dust mites. Clean up spills on carpet immediately to prevent mold formation underneath.
- Pets: If pet dander is resulting in allergy problems, keep the pet(s) out of bedrooms or in a fenced-in yard.
- Miscellaneous: Keep all rooms free of clutter, as piles of paper, clothing, books and other items are ideal environments for dust to collect. Shut windows in the morning and before bedtime during allergy season (spring and fall) as this is when the pollen count is generally at its highest.
Remember, a clean home is a healthy home, so use these and other tips to allergy-proof your indoors. For more expert advice on allergy-proofing the home and other issues relating to home comfort, contact us at Climate Control Company. We serve communities in Western Colorado.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about allergies and other HVAC topics, please visit our website.
Climate Control Company services Aspen, Vail and the surrounding Western slope communities in Colorado.