Having regular AC maintenance is necessary to protect one of the most expensive investments you’ll make in your home. Industry experts say that having a trained technician inspect and repair any issues with your residential AC system helps assure a longer lifespan for the components. More important for your ongoing peace of mind, HVAC equipment manufacturers often require proof of annual seasonal AC maintenance to keep their offered warranties valid. Don’t play Russian Roulette with your home comfort system, keep it in good working order.
What you should and shouldn’t do yourself.
As a homeowner there are some things you might be able to do yourself to ensure your residential AC system is ready to use when needed and keeps working as efficiently as possible. Just as important, there are also things you should never do at all. Some things are best left to a professionally trained technician.
What you can do:
- Clean or replace air filters regularly. Each manufacturer generally has different guidelines for their units. Consult your owner’s manual for guidance. The more polluted the air where you reside, the more frequently you should change the filters.
- Pay attention to areas that may have leaking ductwork. This can be a big source of energy loss that is often overlooked. (There are many ways you can increase your energy efficiency in your home. Read more about weatherizing, insulating, and more, here.)
- Make sure the area surrounding your outdoor unit is debris-free.
- If your thermostat is battery operated, replace the batteries regularly.
- Schedule regular AC maintenance with a reputable company like Climate Control Company.
What you should not do:
- Don’t ignore high electricity bills. It could be a malfunction that requires residential AC maintenance.
- Don’t attempt DIY maintenance or repairs to your AC unit. This will definitely void your warranty and could cause harm to you or the unit.
- Don’t allow the unit to run 24/7. To maintain its overall health, the AC should occasionally be in stand-by mode.
- Put AC maintenance off as a luxury. Residential AC maintenance is a necessity for the overall performance and life of your system.
One of the best tips we can offer for AC maintenance is to schedule it early in the season, preferably before you need to cool your indoor space. And engage Climate Control Company to complete a comprehensive inspection of your entire HVAC system. Protect your investment and your loved ones by making sure your residential AC is cleaned, checked and ready to go. Call today.