Many homes and businesses on the Western Slope have discovered the benefits of swamp (also called evaporative) coolers. They are more energy efficient and will save money compared to traditional air conditioning. Earlier this month Climate Control Company wrote in depth about the proper spring startup procedure for your Glenwood Springs, Aspen, or Vail, CO swamp cooler and why it’s so important. In this article the focus is on the cooler pads and the vital role they play in keeping your home or business cool.
A Quick Refresher Course
First, let’s review how a swamp cooler works. It uses the power of evaporation to cool the outside air and circulate it throughout your home. Evaporative cooling is the same principle that makes you shiver when you climb out of a swimming pool on a hot day. The evaporating water cools your skin.
The Role of the Cooler Pads
A swamp cooler is connected to the home’s water supply which saturates the cooler pads. A fan blows warm outside air across the pads. The outside air cools as the water evaporates from the pads and is blown into the house. Because the cooler pads can lose absorbency over time and are prone to mold and mildew, Climate Control recommends replacing them before the start of every cooling season. Generally, there are two types of pads:
- Rigid media and fiber pads which may be designed to fit your specific model of swamp cooler, much like a furnace or AC filter.
- Other cooling pads need to be cut to fit from a roll of material.
Cleaning Can Be an Option
If a close inspection shows your cooling pads are intact with no mold or mildew, a good cleaning is an option instead of replacement. The procedure is quite simple:
- Remove the pads from the cooler and use a vacuum cleaner to remove loose debris.
- Put the pads on the ground and hose them off with clean water being sure to clean both sides.
- The pads are clean when the water runs clear which could take several flushes with the hose so have patience.
- Feel free to reinstall the pads while they are still wet which allows your evaporative cooler to start cooling more quickly.
It’s a good idea to repeat this cleaning procedure a couple times during the cooling season.
Just a Phone Call Away
With spring blooming in Glenwood Springs, Aspen, and Vail, CO, Climate Control Company is ready to handle the replacement or cleaning of the cooler pads in your swamp cooler. Call and make an appointment now before the hot weather arrives. Be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.