With temperatures heating up on the Western Slope, homeowners will be turning to their air conditioners to stay cool this summer. Energy bills can soar at this time of year, so take a look at the top five A/C operating tips to lower those bills while staying cool.
- Give the outdoor unit room to breathe. Regularly inspect the area around the outdoor unit, to ensure that it’s free of debris and foliage. A minimum clearance of two feet around the perimeter is recommended and five feet of clearance at the top. It’s also important to place the unit at least 10 feet away from where the dryer vents outside, to prevent your A/C from drawing in lint.
- Use a programmable thermostat. This is one of the most cost effective A/C operating tips; these units save money by allowing you to set a schedule of operation around the times of day and week that you’re home, away or asleep.
- Keep an eye on the indoor coil. This coil is an important component of your A/C, as all air moves across it prior to being cooled. If dirty, this can affect not only the health of you and your family, but can reduce the efficiency of the unit as well.
- Clean the condensing coil. This coil has the important job of taking the hot air in your home, and depositing it outside. In order to do this, it needs to be clean and free of debris; a dirty coil can’t remove enough air to be effective, and may use excessive energy in an attempt to cool your home. This task isn’t something most homeowners are equipped to undertake, though it will be included in your Planned Maintenance Agreement.
- Set back your temperatures and use ceiling fans. You can save money on energy bills while easing the load on your cooling system, if you turn up the temperature a few degrees. If you combine this strategy with the use of strategically placed ceiling fans, you won’t notice any decrease in home comfort. Experts say you can save 5 percent on your energy bill for every degree you raise your thermostat.
For more A/C operating tips, contact the experts at Climate Control Company. Since 1956 we’ve been serving the residents of Western Colorado.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C operating tips and other HVAC topics, please visit our website.
Climate Control Company services Aspen, Vail and the surrounding Western slope communities in Colorado.