When the wind is whistling through the Roaring Fork and Vail Valleys, it’s comforting to know the heating system in your Glenwood Springs, Aspen, or Vail, CO has been serviced and inspected by the experts at Climate Control Company. The need for a heating system repair can quickly turn an idyllic Colorado winter into a nightmare.
Common repairs & how to avoid them
Climate Control has served the Western Slope since 1956. Over the years we’ve fixed a lot of gas furnaces and other types of heating systems. Here are some of the most common problems:
- Lack of maintenance. Your equipment needs regular maintenance to avoid costly heating system repairs. Schedule a thorough inspection and tune-up at least once a year. A trained technician can identify potential problems before a breakdown happens.
- Dirty filters. See No. 1 above. Inspecting and replacing filters are the MOST important steps in good maintenance. They are the first line of defense against dirt and dust that cause wear and tear. They should be changed every 30 to 90 days depending on filter type.
- Thermostat not working correctly. The thermostat is the control center for your system. When it has a problem, it affects every function of the heating system. The first step is to always make sure it’s on the proper setting for heating or cooling. Some thermostats have batteries that need to be replaced.
- Gas furnace won’t turn on. This is likely an issue with the pilot light or electronic igniter. If the pilot light has gone out, check your owner’s manual for instructions on how to relight it safely. If it doesn’t light or goes out again and again, call Climate Control for professional help. Most electronic igniters cannot be serviced by a homeowner.
- Frequent cycling or non-stop blower. These issues can be symptoms of a faulty thermostat, clogged air filters or even a faulty limit switch. Many times, this will require the attention of an HVAC professional.
- Poor airflow. Gas furnaces and all types of forced air systems depend on proper airflow to operate efficiently. Without proper airflow your home will be uncomfortable, and you will have higher utility bills because the heating system needs to work harder. Dirty or clogged filters are usually the number one cause. Leaking or dirty ductwork can also cause airflow issues.
- Weird noises. If your heating system starts rumbling, rattling, or squealing there’s a pretty good chance something is wrong. Some common causes are loose or worn belts and worn bearings. The best advice is to shut the furnace off to prevent further damage and call for expert help.
- Wear & tear. No gas furnace or other system is going to last forever. Even with proper maintenance it will wear out. A well-maintained furnace should last about 20 years. If you are at or close to that magic number, it may be time to think about replacement rather than another expensive heating system repair.
Protect your home against winter cold
Don’t let gas furnaces or other heating system problems ruin your winter. Call Climate Control Company for any needed repairs or maintenance and you’ll be able to listen to the wind blowing outside from the warmth of your Glenwood Springs, Aspen, or Vail, CO home with a smile on your face. Be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more great information year round.